Friday, January 27, 2012

Delicate Beauty: A Mermaid Plate

Several years ago my husband went on a business trip to Florida, and due to some scheduling conflicts I couldn't go with him. He did bring me back an absolutely beautiful souvenir, however. Once I unwrapped the shirt that was wrapped around the pajama pants that were wrapped around the bag that contained the box that held the bubble wrapped object, to my surprise and delight I held up a decorative plate featuring a pretty mermaid swimming with her dolphin friends.

 
No wonder my husband packed this item so carefully in his luggage for the return trip! The plate is quite delicate and tips over fairly easily from the base. I love the colors though, and the fine detailing throughout. Here is a close up of the mermaid, you can see she was painted with a surprising degree of care.


The price tag for this plate was only $6.50, (if you can believe it!) from a store called Marine Treasures in Dania Beach, Florida. What an excellent find! I was so excited to receive this souvenir, and I hope to perhaps one day visit this very same shop with my husband and look for more mermaid artifacts. Here is a picture of the whole plate from another angle with different lighting. You can really see all the gorgeous textures and colors.


How many of you have found and/or own decorative plates with mermaids as the subject? I wonder how common or uncommon a piece like this might be. I'd love to hear what other people out there have discovered. Please let me know in the comments!

Until next week, take care.
C

1 comment:

  1. I love the detail in the scales on the tail. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete