Friday, January 13, 2012

My First Mermaid: Sandy Sea Wee

She's only 4 inches tall, but packs a delightful visual punch for such a tiny mermaid. A doll produced by Kenner in the late seventies and early eighties, the Sea Wees were what started my mermaid collection as a little girl. According to the package, her name was Sandy, so to my 4 year old self "Sea Wee" was obviously her last name, and I wouldn't have a bath without my "Sandy Sea Wee" from then on.


If only I had known to take a bit better care of my Sea Wees dolls, for alas, Sandy is all that remains of the bunch that I had. The other dolls suffered such fates as accidental beheadings (they weren't really made that well) and losing most of their hair, or faded coloring on their tails and faces. What I love the most about Sandy Sea Wee is her cheerful smile, the shape of her tail (including those cute little scales) and the simplicity of her structure.


How many of you had Sea Wees dolls? Do you still have them, and if so, what kind of shape are they in? I'd love to hear your comments and/or stories.

See you next week for the next item from My Mermaid Collection, and take care.
C

2 comments:

  1. I remember having a Sea Wee doll when I was growing up. I think they're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this Sea Wee doll, when she and the others were reissued with babies.

    ReplyDelete